SAN JOSE PAL CADETS
San Jose Police Cadet Program
The Law Enforcement Unit (LEU) Cadet Program was created to introduce young people to law enforcement as a career opportunity. The Cadet Program was first organized by the Boy Scouts of America in 1964. The Explorer Program was then administered by volunteers of the San Jose Police Department. In 1968 the program was transferred to direct sponsorship by SJPD when the Police Activities League was formed. With the change of sponsors, the name Explorers was changed to the Law Enforcement Unit. Also in 1968, young women first joined the ranks of the unit. The San Jose Police Activities League is committed to maintain an outstanding career training program for its police cadets. The individual's personal initiative is the most decisive factor in his or her success.
PURPOSE OF THE CADET PROGRAM
- To recruit qualified young adults who have an interest in law enforcement.
- To teach the policies and procedures of the San Jose Police Department and related areas of law enforcement.
- To develop leadership qualities.
- To improve relations between the police and young people.
- To provide service to the community.
- To assist the San Jose Police Department when called upon.
- Must be at least 16 years old and be in high school and no more than 20 years of age.
- No serious medical problems.
- No extensive criminal background.
- Under 18 years of age requires parental consent.
- Must have an interest in law enforcement.
- Must maintain a minimum of a 2.0 / "C" grade point average.
- *Must attend and complete a consecutive 3-week cadet/explorer academy, during the summer months, that is usually during June and or July at the South Bay Regional Training Consortium/Academy.
- It is $150 if the application is turned in late to academy representatives.
* If you are interested in joining our program please download, complete, and submit a cadet application. The application cycle for our June 2017 Cadet/Explorer Academy is now Close.
Waiting will commence the end of summer 2018
* Oral board interviews for our June 2017 Cadet/Explorer Academy will be held in the month of February 2017.
* The Law Enforcement Explorers Academy will be held the month of June 2017 at the South Bay Regional Training Consortium.
Meetings are held every Tuesday. The purpose of these meetings are to educate the cadet in the different areas of the San Jose Police Department and other law enforcement agencies. Films, guest speakers, lectures, practical exercises and demonstrations are used. All cadets are required to participate in our physical training program consisting of Crossfit and other physically challenging activities. All cadets must maintain a high level of physical fitness.
IN-HOUSE TRAINING CLASSES
Laws and police procedures are taught by police officers.
Trips are taken to police departments, prisons, and other law enforcement-related locations.
Cadets are required to put in 15 volunteer hours each month. All approved PAL activities are credited towards 15 hours, including time spent at PAL office doing school work.
Cadets gain experience in community relations by becoming involved in many different areas of public relations and crime prevention. They participate with different divisions of the San Jose Police Department and in crowd control at public functions. The cadets participate in events such as Fantasy Flight, DUI checkpoints, and serving as general security for events that take place at San Jose Police Activities League Stadium and neighboring Emma Prusch Park.
PATROL RIDE ALONG
One of our most instructive and popular activities is the ride-along program. It gives qualified cadets first-hand experience in observing law enforcement in progress. The cadet rides with an officer in a patrol vehicle as an observer, learning reasons why and how the police officer must react to different situations which occur in their daily contact with the public and/or hazardous incidents. This activity is granted when other areas of cadet status are fulfilled.
Contact The Cadet Advisor Officer
Ismael Lemus #3787 via email email@example.com for more information.